Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Don't mess with Teamster retirees


Local 507 retirees at a luncheon that hosted U.S. Rep. Tom Patton.
They might be retired from work but that doesn’t mean they’re retired from life.

Retirees from Local 507 in Cleveland are active, involved and engaged—especially when it comes to issues that affect their union brothers and sisters. When Ohio needed 230,000 signatures to repeal SB5, the anti-worker legislation on the November ballot, Teamster retirees helped collect the 1.3 million signatures that were delivered.

Now they’re at it again.

They're fighting a vote suppression law, House Bill 194, which would limit early voting, prohibit poll workers from helping voters and make it more difficult for local boards of elections to promote early voting to all registered voters.

More than 230,000 signatures are needed by September 29 to stop the bill from becoming law. If the necessary amount of signatures are collected, HB 194 will appear on November’s ballot, for voters to approve or reject.

Here's retiree Charles Smith:
I’m a retiree and I’m a voter and I want to let people know about the power they have at the polls. I don’t mind getting out, walking the pavement and knocking on doors to do that. I believe in always giving back because the Teamsters gave so much to me.
For retiree Ramiro Martinez, being a Teamster means standing up for what you believe in.

The middle class is disappearing before our eyes. When I read the paper, I see the average wage for a family is much less now than it was 10 years ago. We’re going the wrong way. We have to do something to protect our way of life. That means fighting for our rights and fighting for what we believe in.

I want young people to have the kind of life I had. I’m living the American dream right now because of the Teamsters. If you’re a young person, the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to join a union.
Al Mixon, International Vice President and President of Local 507, is proud of Teamster retirees.
Retirees from Local 507 teach us what being a Teamster is all about.
Read more here.