Friday, April 13, 2012

Newark mayor won't negotiate firefighter contracts



This is actually a good news story. Many Teamsters will remember Newark Mayor Cory Booker from our convention last year. He gave a rock 'em, sock 'em speech (you can watch it again here). He is working with the Teamsters on improving life for Newark's exploited port drivers.

Last night, Booker ran into a burning building to carry a woman to safety. He rushed through flames, suffering second-degree burns and smoke inhalation. Today, in a television interview, he said he has a new respect for firefighters. CBS reports,
The mayor said, "Yesterday, all my problems were really big to me. Today things feel a lot more clear," Booker said. "And I have a lot more respect for firefighters! 
"As my chief staff and others were teasing me, I'm ill-equipped to do firefighter union negotiations - 'These guys, give them everything!'"