Friday, April 13, 2012

Awwww, ALEC's having a bad week



The week isn't over for ALEC, the corporate front group that aims to destroy the middle class. But already it's been one nightmare after another for the secretive Koch-funded organization.

At last count, eight corporations left ALEC; lawmakers are starting to quit; Virginia's speaker of the house, an ALEC member, was caught in the embarrassing video above; and major news outlets -- including NPR, the Washington Post and MSNBC -- are picking up the story.

The Mars candy company decided to quit ALEC, as did Arizona Public Service, the state's largest energy company. In Missouri, Rep. Mike Colona quit his membership, saying ALEC is "too extreme for me and the people of Missouri."
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is not the innocuous, bipartisan organization it purports to be.  Their agenda is radical and wrong for Missouri.  I was a member and saw firsthand the sort of extreme legislation they push on state legislators around the country. 
I disagree with ALEC's extremist agenda and encourage my colleagues in the Missouri General Assembly to end their affiliations with the group.  If ALEC is too extreme for Coke, Pepsi, McDonald's, Kraft, Wendy's, Intuit and the Gates Foundation, it's too extreme for me and the people of Missouri.
In Texas, Associated Press picked up the story for the call for 83 Texas lawmakers to quit ALEC. Ten came forward to end their membership. Rep. Alma Allen released a statement saying:
As a legislator, I value the input that non-partisan organizations contribute to various issues. However, I do not believe that the American Legislative Exchange Council is a non-partisan organization. Due to the legislation that ALEC has been involved in forming and promoting, I will not be renewing my membership. I value and listen to all opinions, but ALEC's agenda has become harmful to my constituents, and the people of the State of Texas.
Let's hope next week brings more of the same!