Teamsters all over the country are raising money and collecting food and toys for their poor, hungry and unemployed neighbors. Here are just 10 randomly selected charitable activities Teamster locals have given time and money to. There are hundreds more.
- Local 456 in Yonkers, N.Y., raised money for 1,200 Thanksgiving holiday meals and served them to senior citizens across the city.
- Teamsters at Local 117 in Tukwila, Wash., are sponsoring a holiday Toy Drive with all of the donations going to the families of laid off Teamsters.
- Teamsters at Local 344 in Milwaukee are donating food and money to the Milwaukee Hunger Task Force.
- The Teamster Horsemen Motorcycle Association in Illinois is holding a Thanksgiving Toy Drive. Throughout the year, the Horsemen chapters around the country support the American Cancer Society, the Avon Foundation, Code Amber, La Rabida Children's Hospital, Little City Foundatoin, MADD, the National Breast Cancer Foundation, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and Vietnam Veterans of America.
- A hundred Teamsters from Local 879 in Ontario, Canada, are buying Christmas presents for needy families.
- Teamsters in Milford, Mass., also volunteered to drive trucks delivering fresh farm produce to those who can't afford it.
- In New Jersey, Teamsters Joint Council 73 donated trucks and drivers for a turkey drive, picking up donations in 35 locations throughout the state.
- In Stratford, Conn., the Teamsters National Black Caucus provided a carryout Thanksgiving dinner to families in need.
- In Houston, Local 19's Human Rights Committee collects toys for the Shriner's Children's Hospital and food and money for the Houston Food Bank throughout the year.