Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rose Bowl parade gets Occupied, Part II



This is so awesome. The high school marching band from tiny Pulaski, Wisc., suddenly broke from playing "On Wisconsin" to the great union anthem, "Union Maid." As AnnieJo reports in DailyKos,
Listen to the announcers -- they have no idea what's going on, what the tune is, what statement is being made here. "They just stopped in the middle, this band, and they're gettin' down!" says the announcer. Oh yes, they're gettin' down -- to Union Maid, written by Woody Guthrie!
Oh, you can't scare me,
I'm sticking to the union
I'm sticking to the union,
I'm sticking to the union
Oh, you can't scare me,
I'm sticking to the union
I'm sticking to the union
till the day I die
The cheers as they finish the song are great. I bet there were more than a few people in the crowd who realized what had just happened. "The crowd likes them!" declares the announcer, blissfully unaware.
(Note: Updates to add DailyKos link.)