Saturday, April 2, 2011

Teamster scholarship essays: With solidarity, great things can be accomplished

Each year, the Teamsters Union awards thousands of dollars to deserving students through scholarships. Among other prizes, awards totaling $1,000 are given to students who answer a specific question through essays. Last year, applicants were asked to write about how their parents’ or grandparent’s involvement in the Teamsters has influenced their lives. Winners were decided and awards were given before the war on workers was declared, but we felt these students’ messages about working families are timeless.

Cleo Murphy-Guerette is the daughter of a 28-year Teamster and Local 177 member in Hillside, N.J. Because of her mother’s Teamster job, Cleo has never been without food, clothing or medical care. But, it is Cleo’s words about her commitment to the labor movement that strike a chord.
My mother being a Teamster has helped shape my perspective and the things I hold dear to my heart. From a young age I was taught to believe in the power of many standing together, the key to organized labor. During my childhood, I often stood up for the underdog, voicing concern and disapproval when kids were picking on someone who was powerless.

My family and I have been deeply touched by having a Teamster in our house. We discuss the issues of labor in the U.S. and have a strong commitment to buying American. I know that as I move into adulthood, I will carry this awareness and commitment to fairness and support of American labor with me.
Timothy Sullivan is the son of a Local 111 member in Rahway, N.J. Timothy hits the nail on the head when outlining the lessons his father taught him during his youth. Timothy’s words are especially poignant given today’s War on Workers.
There are always forces trying to weaken or break the power of the unions. There are numerous cases of industries where workers are discouraged or forbidden from organizing. In each case their compensation, benefits and safety are significantly less than union workers doing the same job. The glue that holds a union together is solidarity. For this reason, my father has always felt strongly about supporting his local union, the Teamsters in general and people around the country who are trying to organize.

My father believes corporations have too much influence in labor laws and practices due to the huge amounts of money they can contribute to campaigns and PACs. He feels the only way unions can compete is through sheer numbers.

To me, this is not just about a single issue, but a philosophy to live by. I have seen firsthand how unions have helped members get better salaries, benefits and workplace safety. I know that no member alone could achieve that. But, with a whole group working toward a common goal and with each member being active in pursing that goal, great things can be accomplished.